Maya Garaway Week 6: “The Bridge” by C. Dale Young

 I think this has been my favorite poem so far. 

In “The Bridge,” C. Dale Young connects things that he loves. It's a very peaceful and warm poem. Warm as in fuzzy sweater, comfy feeling, and hot chocolate type of warm. The poem has a natural flow as if he is just writing whatever his mind wanders to. 

He has a strong first sentence in the poem. “I love. Wouldn't we all like to start

a poem with "I love . . ."? I would.” This sentence doesn't only give an opening to the main concept of the poem, but it contrasts the style of many other poems by being that direct. How many poems actually say “I love?” 

Young continues the poem by listing everything he loves by using the actual word “love”.

In total, he uses the word “love” over fifteen times. He lists everything he loves as mundane items, but each one is able to symbolize something more meaningful. My favorite verse is, 

“your mouth.You know, the word joy.

How joyous is that. It makes me think

of bubbles, chandeliers, dandelions.

I love the way the mind runs”

To me, there is something so simplistic but lovely to this verse. I try to value any moment that I can so I appreciate how Young values everything, even the word joy. I also love how he lets his mind wander freely and how all the verses are very flowy and connected. 

In the last verse, he paints a picture of him walking with his partner holding hands. It is a very warm poem that is filled with love for everything. For himself, for moments, and for others. I think this poem shows the value of joy and love very clearly. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out