Leah Nagle - Week 6 - Pick a Poet (Rachel Long) - “Car Sweetness”

The poem “Car Sweetness”, written by Rachel Long, describes a couple sitting in a car. The wife subtly places her hand on her husband’s (who has his hand on the gearstick), displaying their wedding rings and really, displaying their love. I really enjoyed reading this poem. I love how the meaning behind it is that love is made evident through small gestures, a massive, public display of affection is often unnecessary. I also love how this poem proves that actions speak louder than words. The poem perfectly captures the strong love and bond shared between these two people, without them having to say anything to prove their love for one another. 


When I read the words, “mum would lay her hand”, I sensed that this woman seemed perfectly comfortable and safe next to her husband. I think that this is a sign of true, real love. True love is something that doesn’t have to be forced, it is natural and shown through small gestures, like the example Long uses in her poem. 


This poem is short and to the point, which is incredibly effective. It allows the readers to understand the message behind it easily, avoiding unnecessary information that distracts from the intended message. Just because a poem is short, doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty to learn from it. In this case, these few, short lines are filled with many underlying meanings and lessons to be learnt, without using long sentences. 


I loved this poem, the story is really sweet and left a smile on my face. What do you think about it? Do you agree with me?



Comments

  1. I think that the conciseness of the poem gives it a lasting and meaningful affect. I think it is a really sweet poem and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed this poem. I really felt the love the two spouses had for each other and it made it really enjoyable and heart warming to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the poem, like you said, is very nice. It brings a little joy when reading it because you can see the love and affection the father and mother have for one another. I picture the scene in my mind, and it brings me a lot of happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out