Ben Nikpour - Week 6: "Gold" by Donald Hall

    This week I read the poem “Gold” by Donald Hall. When I first read Hall’s work, I begin by assessing the title to later attempt to understand its relationship to the poem. The poem’s title, “Gold,” makes me think of something precious and valuable and has a positive connotation. After reading the poem, I can see why it is representative of the meaning. 

    The poem describes a memory from Donald Hall’s life. Researching Hall, I learned that his wife passed away from leukemia. To me, it is clear that the memory is one shared with his wife. This memory is about a simple time lying in a bed next to what I believe to be his wife in a golden room. He uses this poem to reminisce about his wife and pay tribute to their beautiful and precious life together. 

    Throughout the poem, Hall uses an immense amount of imagery to convey his ideas, like when he writes in the first stanza, “Pale gold of the walls, gold of the centers of daisies, yellow roses pressing from a clear bowl.” As shown through this quote starts off the poem by painting a picture in our heads of what the scenery was like. By using bright colors like gold and yellow combined with beautiful flowers, daisies, and roses, the reader is brought to a place of joy, believing this to be a delightful memory. 

    I have found that the poet has a very distinct voice, but what I found interesting is that this poem is quite different from some of the others he has written. Many of the other pieces I have read from Hall have been very depressing, grey stories, while this is a very positive, golden story. However, I noticed similarities in the written content as many of his include elements of nature, bodies, death, and memories. 

    Overall, I really enjoyed this piece by Hall. It is actually my favorite of his that I have read so far. I like the change in mood present through this, especially right after reading a few of his other, more somber poems.

"Gold" by Donald Hall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out