Adam Sobel Week 4 - Shabbaton

    The Shabbaton this year was a great way for me to relax after the start of our final year in high school. As I'm sure the rest of you are feeling, senior year can be quite a mess with college applications, SATs/ACTs, regular schoolwork, and our other responsibilities like jobs, family roles, and our friendships. However, this past week has been a great relief for me from a lot of my stress.

    I am the type of person to overload myself with work, and I've been going head first into everything I need to do since school started. This is starting to wear me out when I get home at 8:00 some nights and still need to cook myself dinner then finish my chores before finally being able to start my school work. I'm becoming adjusted to this routine and I enjoy keeping busy, but it's definitely nice to have breaks like we got last weekend.

    Friday was filled with a lot of excitement. Everyone was crowded around the school eager to get on the bus and head to the hotel. I was excited to get on the bus because I had brought my Nintendo Switch to play with my friends and a few good comics to read. At the hotel on Saturday, I got to swim and use a water slide, play more games on the Switch, play card games like Skip Bo, watch a hypnotist, and just enjoy myself with my friends. Noah Bilu and I spent an hour at the water slide trying to figure out how to go down as fast as possible, and we managed to use a little bit of physics to accomplish our goal. It was a relaxing period that I didn't know I needed until I had it.

    Sunday was a lot of fun as well since I got to spend the day at Universal. I went on the new Velocicoaster ride which was a blast, then I got to go on Hagrid's which had a long line but was still plenty of fun. After that we went on the water rides including Rip Saw Falls and Popeye's which we went on with some of the Hebrew teachers. Lastly was the Hulk which had a super short wait time and was an extremely fun ride. Universal was a great way to end the relaxing weekend and helped me destress from any difficulties that I had going on in my life.

    Making sure to remember to take breaks is always important in life. While we don't have to go to Universal to relax, putting yourself first is always a good idea. Don't take on more work than you can handle or else you'll get burned out and stop enjoying your work, so relaxing is always a great way to stay happy and enjoy your work.


How to Maximize Your Time at The Universal Orlando Parks | Florida Smart

Comments

  1. I agree with you completely. The Shabbaton was a great way to take a break from everything else that goes on in our everyday lives. I loved it. I am one of those people, like you, that overloads themselves with way too much and has to spend hours getting everything done to feel comfortable to be done for the night. Even though all of the work is all still there and is still waiting to be done, I still was able to empty my mind and give myself a break and, like you said, destress. This made me feel better and gave me more energy to work on everything waiting for me when I got back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also faced the challenge of trying to take a break in the face of mountains of mounting work. I realized, as you did, that sometimes you just have to let go and come back the work later. Having suffered multiple burn outs over the years, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to find the balance between work and relaxation. I'm happy to know that I'm not crazy for feeling as though there's a lot of work to get done and not a lot of time to do it. Even though I'm sad I didn't get to go the Shabbaton, I'm happy you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out