Maya Garaway Week 10: Back in the Air

     As many of you know, I love the aerial arts. I haven't been able to train for a while between college applications and being away over the summer, but I have finally returned to my studios! Throughout the past five years, I have practiced aerial silks, split silks, lyra hoop, lyra sphere, static trapeze, and flying trapeze at various studios. Recently, I have worked a lot on my lyra hoop skills. If you are unfamiliar with this, it is that metal hoop that acrobats use in the circus. This has captured my attention from the convenience of the class times and my unfamiliarity with this subject. Over covid, I taught myself most of my skills on the hoop to the point that I recently realized that I don't know the proper names or forms of some of my tricks! 

I love the feeling of being in the air and achieving new tricks. I have really missed it. There's a powerful and fun feeling when you get a new trick and it is so exciting! For myself, it's a way to take a break from the day but still be able to learn and grow. With aerial, the tricks require a certain mindfulness. You must clear your mind and not be afraid. It's somewhat meditative. It's also sometimes painful, but the calluses are like a symbol of the strength and effort that's been put into a skill. It can show how much strength you have gained. 

Currently, I am trying to get certified as an instructor. I am hoping to be able to begin teaching classes as soon as possible so that I can get a job during college. I am really fighting for this opportunity so wish me luck! 

Also wish some of my friends luck, they are joining me tonight for their first lyra class!


Would you ever try any circus-type classes?





Comments

  1. I do not consider myself to be very flexible, and I also didn't know they had these kinds of classes, so I have never done one before. While it is definitely difficult to do, I don't think it would be as impossible to learn as it looks. I would definitely try a class to conquer a new intimidating challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out