Leah Nagle - Week 10 - My Funny Black Friday Story

Since Black Friday is this week and it is the last blog post of the semester, I figured why not share my cute and funny Black Friday shopping story from Freshman year.


It was my first Thanksgiving and Black Friday in the United States, I had only been living here a few months. At the time, my Dad was in South Africa to visit my grandparents, so my Mom, my brother, my sister, and I stayed with our very close family friends in Aventura for the long weekend (we even brought our dog with us). They were living in a very small apartment, but although it was chaotic, we made it work. 


These family friends are ex-South Africans too. They emigrated a couple years before we did. The oldest daughter, Sheina, is my age and one of my best friends in the world. We grew up together and have always been inseparable. One of the things that draws me to Sheina is her mischievousness that never fails to help us create amazing memories. 


And this is when the story begins. Even though Sheina lived 5 minutes away from the Aventura mall, we were told that there was no time for Black Friday shopping because her mother had already scheduled a busy itinerary for our families. We refused to take no for an answer and decided to instead take matters into our own hands. 


The night before Black Friday, we told our parents not to wake us up until 9am. Sheina set an alarm for 6am and forced me awake, even though I really didn't feel like waking up that early and was starting to doubt the plan. We quickly and quietly got dressed and then snuck out the large window in her bedroom. And that was it, off we went! 


None of us were driving at the time, so we decided to walk. Sheina promised me it was only a five minute walk, but to my dismay, it really wasn’t and I was wearing the wrong shoes. After a ridiculous amount of complaining from me and a couple nasty blisters later, we finally made it to the mall.


We were at the mall as it opened and we were so excited that our crazy plan actually worked. We did our shopping and ended up getting so caught up in the idea of Black Friday, that we actually got totally ripped off, but we had fun and that’s what matters! 


We soon ran out of time and figured we had to start heading back. We hurried back to Sheina’s apartment and realized we were running late. We also realized that we had not thought through how we were going to get back into Sheina’s room without being seen. This is because by this point, both of our families were awake and eating breakfast in the kitchen. The kitchen, like Sheina’s room, had a large window that looked out onto the street. 


We decided on just making a run for it, and that’s exactly what we did. Two little dumb freshmen running down the road holding their tons of shopping bags. Our little running plan didn’t work, we were unfortunately caught. 


Luckily, no parents were angry, everyone just laughed and to this day, we all recount this story and smile. 


Do you have any funny stories like this one? If so, what is it? 



Comments

  1. That is such a cute story. I had so much fun spending black Friday this year with you and Samantha. Interestingly enough, Pacsun tried to rip me off because their deals online were better than in store. I returned my items and re-bought them online. Black Friday's deals are only good if you're buying kitchen supplies or tvs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leah Nagle - Week 4 - College is Stressing Me Out

Rosalie Weiss- Week 1- “The Hermit Crab” by Mary Oliver

Jack Yesner Week 10 - The Imposter Syndrome